Monday, March 6, 2017

Quality Endings: Final Image

It's Monday!


And I'm not usually so cheery but I've had a good day! Had my haircut, went and did a bit of shopping, then to top it off, I got Chipotle!

Who doesn't like good food and being productive?

I have been sick for what feels like the last two weeks forever. At first violently, with some fever (actually, most of it was fever) and a lot of congestion. I lost my hearing at one point! Or several points.

So no, I have not wanted to even try to write.

I've been reading though. I just finished Rebel Belle and the BFF has started me on Red Queen.

I finished too Age of Youth or as I knew it Hello, My Twenties! This is a K-drama.

So I guess I was productive. Just a lot slower.

Because this got my brain pondering on endings. I talked about quality endings a few posts ago, and basically, if you're having trouble drawing the conflict to a close, the correct answer is to stab your hand through the protagonist's chest and jerk out her heart.

And really, that's fun and everything, but the end of conflict is not the end of the story.

There are so many ways to finish a story. Actually, going anywhere near Pinterest with the question writing and ending pulls up pieces, favorite last lines, plot lines and types.

One of the ones I heard more about was Circular, which always gets me. I am a sucker for ending a story the way it began. (Hello, Hero's Journey.)

But there's stuff like the Looking Back move where you end the story with a memory. Sometimes of how this story even came to be, clarifying or shocking readers and viewers.

There's The Emotional One where the resolution is a solid kick in the throat. Or a snuggle. Some people like snuggles.

There's the Lesson Learned one where the character learned something that changes her life forever.*

The Summary, which does just as it says. Summarize.

There's the Unclear ending, the What a Twist!, the Image, Answered Question but Questioned Again for Deeper Thought, and the Dialogue ending.

All of these are exciting ways to close a story. All of these can fit into different kinds of stories. Romance, Thriller, Horror, etc.

The one you pick will basically say everything about the story.

After all, it's the last word. You held someone this long. The last line will let them know whether or not it was worth it or not.

Satisfaction dangles on the last line.

*This is so much harder anyway since there should be growth to a protag's story.