Sunday, June 18, 2017

So Convenient

Hello, my little surprises.

Just going to do a short post on something that's been on my mind all day.

Today is Father's Day.

Which is a great source of joy and tears in my family. My father is a caring warm individual who loves kids and people so much, he kinda just adopts people as he goes. He's got a way of claiming hearts.

We're super thankful and lucky here in my house to have him 98% of the time.

And for the last few years I haven't really been so active in social media during this time, though my dad ever the hard-worker decided to do some reno today of all days. So I browsed and answered messages and well wishes and posted selfies.

I was actually shocked by the amount of people who could give a rat's ass about fathers.

I mean, I know a good handful of people who don't have the best dads. The ones who know theirs, but across the board, almost no one posted pictures or said anything.

Staggering.

I clearly didn't grow up in that environment. So it's perplexing in a way. I'm still trying to wrap my mind about so many people being so bad that their offspring wouldn't send one measly "Happy Father's Day" post across Twitter or post a food selfie on Facebook.

Not that I'm judging you. I just never grasped how vast it was--or maybe my company has changed a lot over the last few years. And that's true.

But I'm not here to talk about that--though honestly I can't stop thinking about it. I'm here to talk about the complaints I've been seeing.

About people being insensitive by saying Happy Father's Day (to the general public) or Facebook doing the post a selfie in a frame thing.

Now I can see the argument both ways. Sadly, a pinchful of people I know have lost their mothers, so seeing the frame for Mother's Day was horrible. Even I wanted to shut their computer for them, but I could see how for people like me who have much to be grateful for, it's nice to see an international day of celebration for daddies who deserve it.

So what's the solution?

I can't help but notice, like the rest of you, how GREAT Twitter is at suspending accounts for defending people getting bullied and how WONDERFUL Facebook is at not shutting down live killings, but can't seem to figure out how to pick and choose from keywords who to promote Mother and Father holiday things.

It's funny, isn't it? How we can have round avis but not bullies and bots kicked off microblogs. Funny how we can spread fake news and not make special offers hidden unless looked for.

I don't mean to be one of those guys, but I wouldn't feel left out if the frames for selfies or virtual cards were something I had to go looking for in special features. The thing about genuinely happy people is that they don't need require others to feel bad about an already uncomfortable situation.

To all of you who can't or won't celebrate, I hope you enjoyed your day. I hope it was good weather and you got stuff or nothing at all done. I hope that any asshat who crossed your path runs into a wall nose first.

I love you all.

XO
The ebelleful Clan