Sunday, March 8, 2015

Why You Should Watch Madoka Magica

Hello!

So not too long ago, I started watching Madoka Magica on my magical girl withdrawal. (Hulu really has been too good to me.)

And it is the most confusing, darkest, incredibly sinister anime I've ever experienced. Admittedly, I don't devour anime as easily as other things.

But when the genre of magical girl popped up, I thought I'd be watching an adorable anime about middle school girls dealing with love, their changing selves, and their duties to fight evil.

Madoka Magica is so far from the safety of adorable bunnies and hearts. In fact, SPOILER, in the first episode the mentor, or gatherer of magical girls, is nearly murdered by a magical girl.



The whole series, lasting only 12 episodes, is wrapped around the horrors of the contracts they made to get a powerful wish and become magical girls instead. Fighting things known as witches, inevitability that the protagonist is constantly fighting, and really just a very dark play on self love and selflessness.

The entire series is one emotional conflict after the other. Every episode balances on knife edge. If you love suspense, love darkness, love devil like contract making ferret mentors, this anime was made for you. JOIN ME.



Madoka Magica on Hulu.