Monday, December 8, 2014

Of Aprons and Mathematics

Deep breaths.

*looks up, stares into your soul*

What's wrong with you?

No, but seriously. Take the time and list your faults.

You played with your teeth so much as a child that one's leaning in front of the other, photobombing it. You're deadly afraid of spiders. I mean, to the point of crashing your car so it may not live.

You love a boy more than you love yourself.

What the HELL is wrong with society? What is wrong with our species?

What the fuck does "strong female" even fucking mean? Fuck.

Can you tell I'm mad? I am beyond mad. I am another rant away from evaluation for meds.

What does "strong female" even mean? Half of you don't know yet no one thinks of asking. No one stands up and demands just what the fuck the world means by strong female.

I have been over and over this in my head. I tried to see it as rising above gender roles and what not.
Admittedly, I am a sucker for the sensitive Michael Cera, kicked puppy, Peeta-needs-Katniss type, but I'll show you true strong female when I show you the mother in me.

I have two cousins who I frequently talk to. I adore them. They're lovely and starting off in the dating world. They both read lots of books, both saw the slut-shaming of Kristen Stewart and are both impressionable.

I don't think one is a weak female for being afraid of the dark or for wanting to follow tradition and marry and not work.

I will be damned if anyone puts her down for that.

The other girl, slightly older, wants to be totally independent. Again, I won't let you tell her that's the right choice. Or, the confused version, where you tell her she's going to be sad and alone in her old age.

My choice, my lady friends', cousins', sisters', mother's choice on what type of person she wants to be has *nothing* to do with gender. No one's setting back women by wanting to cook and clean and nurse babies.

(Some of you seem to have forgotten that that's biology.)

Neither are women moving one step forward by being more masculine or taking on traditional male roles.

These girls who choose to be who they want to be ARE strong. They're brave, strong, and advancing humanity by being who they want to be so I'm asking that we stop saying strong females solely because the protagonist is the savior and not the damsel in distress.

We can't all be heroes and the only reason gender inequalities are being talked about so much is because everyone smacks the labels around. So stop and think.

Think about your faults and what you mean by strong female characters.
___________________________________________________________
Thank you to all of you for reading! In the words of Bender (FUTURAMA):