Friday, May 31, 2013

Movie Night with Author Janice Hardy

Today, we have a very special guest on the blog! If you didn't read the title, I'll tell you now! YA fantasy author and Twitter writing-link queen, Janice Hardy and her The Healing Wars Trilogy.
The first book revolves around Nya who, with a touch, can shift pain from person to person.
1.) This is such an exciting book! Who's playing who in the movie?
Nya: Nya's has always been the hardest to cast, but I think Stefanie Scott would play her well. She can pull off a sadness and a strength in her eyes that captures Nya's spirit. She might look fragile, but don't mess with her or threaten those she loves.
Tali: Hayley McFarland, even though she's probably too old for the part now (grin).  But when I first saw her I knew she was Tali. There's a wide-eyed innocence wrapped around iron in her.
Aylin: Molly Quinn for sure. She's perfect. Sweet and lovely, but fire underneath is you push her too far.
Danello: Devon Gearhart has that same sadness and strength as Stefanie Scott, so he works well as Danello (the love interest). He has that "I'll do whatever it takes to protect my family" vibe.
Jeatar: Aaron Eckhart has the perfect mix of average Joe with strength and fortitude underneath. You might look right over him on first glance, but then you realize there's so much more there and you really should have paid attention.
Soek: Tom Holland. He gives off a nice, "I'm a good guy" vibe, but you can see hidden depths there. I think he could pull off Soek's humor as well.
Zertanik: Robert Downey Jr. has the wonderful blend of disarming humor and charm, with danger and ruthlessness underneath that fits Zertanik well. He seems like a simple businessman just making a deal, but every quip has barbs.
Lanelle: Isabelle Fuhrman. I think she could walk Lanelle's "too close to the edge of good and bad" well.  
Kione: Josh Hutcherson has a good mix of handsome, yet you're not sure you trust him, that works well for Kione.
I AM ALL FOR THAT! (Nya! <3)
2.  Who's writing the screenplay?
Joss Wheadon, because A) he writes amazing female leads, B) he writes amazing ensemble casts, so I know my other characters will be done right, and C) he's just an amazing storyteller and writer. The Shifter is pretty dark at times, and he could do the dark and still get in the humor and levity to keep it from being too dark.
This is all true. Shifter is the next Joss movie.
3. Director?
Joss Wheadon for the same reasons. I've been a fan of his since Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I love his style. He really knows how to make a character shine and bring out the personal conflicts so they don't get lost in the fancier external conflicts.
4. Producer?
Robert Zemekis. He's produced some of my favorites, such as Back to the Future, Romancing the Stone, and Contact. He's very good at putting the right team together with the right story.
OOH! I didn't think he'd be mentioned. That's a very shiny choice.
5. Okay, okay. This movie's coming together in my head. It needs the perfect soundtrack. What/who is on there?
This is a tough one since I write fantasy, so traditional songs don't really apply, but I'd love to see The Heavy on there. They have such an unusual mix of music and styles. I'd like to see what they could do with a movie soundtrack.
(I'm totally adding them to my to-listen queue.)
6. What's the one line on the poster?
Either: How far would you go to save the ones you love? or She can heal--or kill--with a touch.
~
~
Shiny! Thank you so much for stopping by, Janice!
Here's the B&N link for Janice's The Shifter, the first book in The Healing Wars Trilogy.
You can also add it to your GoodReads here.