Friday, November 9, 2012

sinister reviews

Ever been overstimulated? Ever look at something very bright and squint and look away? Eventually, though, you get used to it or avoid it?

It happens with horror/romance/everything.

Halloween night I went to see Sinister. I anticipated that thing for months.

And it flopped. Majorly.

I plotted this blog watching it. (Rotten Tomatoes rating 62% in case you were wondering.)

Now, if you haven't watched it and would like to, stop reading. I'm gonna tear this mother up.

***


***

Still here? Good.
I think.

First off, I missed two minutes of the beginning, but TC filled me in. So it didn't matter. Apparently, those two minutes are repeated a lot.
The basic story: a true crime writer searching for his his next big story moves his family into the home of a murdered family wherein he finds a box full of gory home movies.

First off, I predicted the whole thing within the first twenty-five minutes. Seriously.

Second, the whole thing was...dark. Not gory or brutal. Nope. Lighting. I squinted, wondered where the budget for lighting was, and then it came together. Because most of the scenes were at night and in the house painted deep blue.


No. Shit. Deep blue. All of the house.

The intentions were clear. They worked. For awhile.

I did search shadows for the face or a face.

Spoiler alert: there are none.

It wasn't the worst part of the story but overstimulation? Really? That's not creepy.

For the best horror, you plant seeds of creepy, you give away what there is to fear, then you change all the rules when the meet is there.

Horror isn't the easiest thing. I know. Sis and I only ever go to the movies to be scared witless. (So far, no cigar.)

But Sinister had excellent potential.

The son has night terrors where he does strange things in his sleep--slip out of a cardboard box and scream with eyes wide open. I was terrified when that happened just because how'd you ever tell if something bad happened to him?

But he only had two terrors and the daughter only had a brief episode where she draws a dead girl on the wall.

The children could have been doing strange things and upped the creep factor but they were only themselves until the end.

And the home movies? They gave away the end to me. Would you like to know the twist? The missing children of each murdered family kill the family and tape it themselves.Then the spirit drags them into the images.


Because that's where he exists.


Hence this

My rule on writing is don't give away the ending. Just don't. Any story you write, never give it all away.

The research the true crime writer did was so slap-in-the-face obvious, I was done with the mystery before he was. Blatantly stated, one family was driven out of the house of another murdered family's house then slaughtered in the new house.

It's said three times.

Sometimes, clues need to be planted. In the case,  make the character believe something else.
Covering up "foreshadow" in distracting overstimulation will take you so far. So no more scenes in poorly painted houses.