Tuesday, September 25, 2012

places to look for stories

If you haven't read my Twitter bio recently, I'm a fan of urban legends. Scary ones at that.

Actually, any story told and specific to an area (and above all creepy) falls into my love pile.

So yeah, I do get people coming up to me (virtually and real lifely) for a good story.

I hand out a couple of samples (Peru-Pishtaku; Japan-Teke Teke) and then I'm either an encyclopedia or a person to avoid confessing to.

Well fear no more, dears! Or fear more. Whichever. Here are my sources:

Google
*ducks from tomato-throwing*
Type in scary urban legend and sift through glory. Oh, and sometimes the pictures are scarier than the stories. Still, awesome.

Wikipedia
Excellent starting point for mythology/legends. Type something like Brazilian mythology and get stuff like Lobisomem.

TV*
If you can suffer a few minutes, SyFy's Destination Truth has some good stories. My favorite show, though, is Paranormal Witness.

I use these for both entertainment and research/lessons for my writing.

Have other sources?  I'll keep updating this.

*I know I learned about Slenderman throught Youtube and watched Japanese Celebrity Ghost Stories there too.

UPDATED:
Destination Truth
Paranormal Witness
Ghost Adventures
The Dead Files
Syfy Saturday (movie marathon lasting all day)
Chiller (a channel with not even B movies. The channel also shows movies from other countries.)